Monday, June 13, 2005

Are You Proud of Your Job?

I read an interesting article in the USA Today recently about the careers people choose and the prestige that goes along with those professions. The article cites a survey conducted by Harris Interactive that compares the number of people assigning "prestige" to a job today versus back in 1977. Here are some of their findings:

  • In 1977, 29% of us assigned prestige to the job of teachers. By 2004, it has risen to 48%. (Teaching was one of the few to show an increase)
  • The prestige the public assigns to doctors has slipped from 61% to 52%
  • Lawyers have slipped from 36% to 17%
  • Priests and ministers from 41% to 32%
  • Engineers have slipped from 34% to 29%
  • And athletes from 26% to 21%

All of this got me thinking. If you visit a classroom, I suppose you would like to be able to talk about your prestigious job. But for most of my generation, I think we try to define ourselves by our lifestyles and not our careers. I can't really think of anybody who chose their career because of the prestige with which it was associated. I certainly believe that more people are motivated by money.

Maybe I'm just biased because of my own profession as well as the part of the country I live in (very materialistic). Nonetheless, I grew up in the Midwest and understand the virtue of values as well as the next guy. I just see their role in the career decision-making process as diminished at best.

Am I off base here? Let me know what you think--

5 Comments:

At 6:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do agree that it's all about the mean green and no one really cares how they get it. However, I am most surprised to see that athlete prestige has fallen since they are severely overpaid celebrities and get whatever they want. As a result, I'm sure more kids today aspire to be professional athletes compared to our generation. Which I think translates to prestige. I am not surprised about the docs and lawyers because everyone knows one, just like everyone knows a mortgage broker. The biggest increase over the past 30 years is most likely that of a packaging salesman. LOL

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger J. Kahn said...

I hear ya, Goody. But the falling prestige of athletes does not surprise me. Generations before us looked at athletes like Oscar Robertson, Jim Brown, Mickey Mantle, Joe Lewis, etc. like they were god.

Now you've got Allen Iverson, Jamal Lewis, Mike Tyson. I mean, who wants to be associated with those guys? Kids want to be professional athletes for the money and the perks, not the prestige.

 
At 7:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Goody's analysis is ridiculous. The sportsmen of yore were who we truly emulated to be. These were guys like Joe Namath; Brian Logan; the Pruitt brothers; Brian Sipe; Joe Montana, etc. They stayed with their respective teams for their entire career. They were part of the community. It wasn't the money, it was the love of the game. And because of that, you respected their true intentions and cared more about them - all of this equates to true "prestige" - not the athletes of today who change teams like I change underwear; who go were the money is (even if the team is in last place); who bitch at the refs on every call; who get arrested; who "donate" money, but never show up to a community fund raiser.

Prestige is how society values not only your job, but the way in which you bring it dignity by your actions. If the modern day athlete is what "kids today aspire to" - we are all in trouble.

 
At 7:36 AM, Blogger J. Kahn said...

Adam brings up some excellent points. I couldn't agree more. I think it is important so differentiate between prestige and celebrity.

 
At 9:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

According to the study, athletes are still viewed with more prestige than lawyers. Furthermore, the biggest slip, 50%, belongs to lawyers as well. So much for those prestigious plaques on your wall. You should replace them with sports memoribilia.

If teachers were paid more would the prestige be as high?

Put Bergy next to Tiger and let's see who garners more prestige?

Adam, I don't seem to reacall Joe Montana ending his career in a 49er's jersey.

Money aside, would you rather be a lawyer or a professional athlete? Or teacher for that matter?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home