Friday, November 30, 2007

Goodbye Evil

Evel Knievel died today at the age of 69.

My friends and I raced dirtbikes growing up in the 70s, and at one point I admit I owned an Evel Knievel dirt bike. I also think I owned some sort of motorcycle toy that jumped stuff.

But I remember taking turns jumping our dirtbikes over whatever we could, imitating Evel.

The bike that this guy used to jump was nothing like the dirtbikes of today. It was heavy, and unweildy. I wouldn't have jumped 2 cars on a bike like his. So I have to give him a lot of credit for being a skilled rider, not to mention the hype he generated around his persona.

As for the Snake River rocket jump, I can't really comment. He was crazy.

2 Comments:

At 7:46 AM, Blogger Grant said...

In addition to his riding skills, he was quite the entertainer too.

And for the record, it was EVEL, not EVIL...

He wasn't superstitious, but he sure didn't want to give any predisposition to the man upstairs!

-Grant

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger J. Kahn said...

you are so right! what an embarassing mistake. I have gone back and corrected it.

thx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home