Saturday, December 15, 2007

Goodbye, Poppy


Posted by Picasa

I was talking with one of my close friends yesterday and he asked me if I was speaking today. I said I didn’t know, and that for the past 2 days every time someone has asked me about my father-in-law, I got so choked up I couldn’t talk.

To which he said, look – that should tell you everything right there. Most people don’t even have that kind of relationship with their in-laws. And I’m glad he pointed that out. Although I called Steve my father-in-law, he was definitely more like a father.

Steve Chase was one of the most unique and talented men I have known. Like an artist who has the ability to look at a blank canvas and see a beautiful picture, so too could Steve look at the most decrepit room or house and envision an elegant interior design setting. He had that talent. He took both pride and pleasure in his work, and if you know what to look for, you will see his designs all over the world.

I used to think that I have a very strong work ethic, but Steve put me to shame, utter shame. No workday was too long, no hour too late – Steve was working.

And Steve was selfless man. All of his hard work and success was not for himself, he lived fairly modestly. Everything was for his family, which he placed above all else. Granted he owned beautiful houses, but that was because he designed and furnished them himself. He didn’t drive fancy new cars or buy expensive things, as he was not concerned about keeping up with the Joneses.

And Steve’s talents didn’t stop with design; he was also a gifted storyteller. Some of you are smiling right now because admittedly, Steve could sometimes be verbose. But he always captivated his listener. His attention to detail was extraordinary, such that you could envision perfectly what he was describing, and you felt like you were actually there experiencing it with him.

I hope that some of his talents are imparted on my own children. Steve lived his life on his own terms, and marched to the beat of his own drummer. In that sense, I think we could all learn something from him – I know I have.

We love you, as Taylor would say, “to the sun and back”

RIP

4 Comments:

At 8:29 PM, Blogger AJ said...

Sorry to hear about your loss.

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger lwest said...

Very well said Jordan. I only met Steve twice. He was always very sweet and remembered me from when you moved out West into my office. From what you told me about him he was always a family man and a giving person. I hope his memory brings back that close family feeling as well as inspires you to obtain some of his positive attributes and energy. You children were lucky to have a great Poppy, and may they know he will be watching over them and be with them every day!
Our thoughts and prayers go out to Dawn and you, and your family!
Lee and Kimberly

 
At 7:30 AM, Blogger A. Sisk said...

Jordan I have been a reader of your blog for a long time now. Although, I did not know Steve he sounds like a wonderful person who will be be missed by those who knew him. I am sorry for your loss.

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger J. Kahn said...

Thank you to everyone for all of your nice comments and well wishes.

My wife and I really appreciate it.

-Jordan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home