Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Making A Big Bet On Housing

This morning, a report from housing industry group Dataquick said that foreclosures in California soared +39% in Q1 to 113,676. That's more than 1200 per day, and the highest since they began keeping records in 1992. Ouch.

While many are looking to call the bottom in housing, data like this make me think they are still early. I beleive the rate of declines has and will slow materially, but any bounceback will take considerable time.

I am in the process of selling an option on my house to a large company. It's basically akin to selling a call option on the appreciation of my home over the next 5 years. In return, I get a large upfront premium that I plan to invest. So the bet I am making is that stocks will outperform my house over the next 5 years. I like my odds.

4 Comments:

At 6:35 PM, Blogger Scott Crawford said...

Is there an option on my odds of getting laid?

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger J. Kahn said...

yes, but the premium in the puts is so high it's not worth betting on

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger Geoff Green - Arizona Real Estate said...

What big company bought an option on your house?

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger J. Kahn said...

They are called Rex & Co., and are backed by AIG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home