Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Winslow out for the year

Each time I read another story about Browns' tight-end Kellen Winslow Jr. , I find myself further amazed and less sympathetic. Today's story in the AP confirms that Winslow will miss the entire 2005 season. It further sheds light on his motorcycle accident, revealing that he admitted to "attempting stunts" before crashing into a parking lot curb at 35 mph. Huh?

Is this guy an idiot? I don't think he should have been riding a bike at all, considering he was still recovering from a broken leg last season (he only caught 5 passes before getting injured). But I might have had an ounce of sympathy for him if it was a real accident. But not stunts!

Then he goes on to make idiotic comments like this one: "I'm grown. I still have to live my life," Winslow told the newspaper. "I did know the circumstances behind it, but I'm still learning. I'm young. You think you're invincible. You think nothing's going to happen to you. It was a mistake."

Someone really needs to coach this guy on talking to the media. In the first sentence he says 'I'm grown'. But in the third sentence he says 'I'm young'. Which is it? And who cares? The fact is you get paid a lot of money to take care of your body. You have a clause in your contract that says as much. I hope they take away is $4.4 million bonus. He certainly doesn't deserve it.

2 Comments:

At 6:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more with you and your assessment of this whole Winslow debacle. I think he is acting The Fool. Are there words or phrases more appropriate in this situation than "hubris" and "height of arrogance"? He has not and will not EVER come out and say he screwed up. His father was shown on ESPN in an interview basically blaming The Media for his kid's indiscretions! I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree here. If I were to so blatantly break a contractual agreement there would be no recourse; give the money back and bemoan my stupidity. Just another example of the different standards placed upon athletes and entertainers relative to those laid on The Common Man.
From the point of The Browns, this is a very delicate situation. If they were to play hardball and demand all the money back, potential future acquisitions (draft picks, free agents) might not be as inclined as they are otherwise to consider playing there (see Chicago Bulls/Jayson Williams). Additionally, I think this underscores the lack of respect these guys have for contracts. They do what they want when they want knowing full well if they get caught it will be written of as "youthful indiscretion" without the slightest chance of any repercussions. Short story long, I'm with you! Peace.

 
At 7:40 AM, Blogger J. Kahn said...

Thanks for the post, Dean. I hope the Browns do at least ask for the $4.4M signing bonus back. And I hope the Brownies have a great season without him!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home