Wednesday, August 24, 2005

"I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Morning News of Note:
  • GOOG: Google's Stock Sale Mystery Is Simply Solved: There Are Buyers Google's decision to issue $4 billion in new stock has been greeted with surprise and stupefaction by the army of analysts who are overpaid to divine happenings within the Googleplex. It is an impenetrable mystery, they say. The company already has nearly $3 billion in cash; why does it need more? (Full Story) WSJ
  • JMDT SNE NOK: Games to Go Cell Phone Platforms May Be the Next Frontier In the Growing Portable Video Game Market You'd be hard-pressed to catch Kevin Bonds, a telecommunications worker who lives in Prince George's County, without some kind of video game in reach at just about any hour of the day. "If I go shopping with my wife and she's shopping for dresses, I find a chair and get my game on," he said. "If she takes me to a party, I take a game with me. It goes without saying." (Full Story) Washington Post
  • AAPL: Apple to buy 40% of Samsung's flash chips-analysts Apple Computer Inc. plans to buy as much as 40 percent of Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd.'s flash memory output in the second half for its new flash-based iPod Mini MP3 player, iSuppli and Deutsche Bank analysts said on Wednesday. Apple , known for its wildly popular iPod digital music player, is expected to introduce a 4-gigabyte version of the iPod Mini that uses NAND flash memory instead of a hard disk drive for the Christmas season. (Full Story) Washington Post
  • Bulls/Bears: Bulls 56.8% vs 57.3% wk ago, Bears 25% vs 22.5% wk ago, Correction 18.2% vs 20.2% wk ago


Market Comments: The market opened slightly weaker this morning, on the soft durable goods report. I liked the pattern of the market being weak early yesterday, but strengthening into the close. I'd like to see the same pattern play out today. The bull/bear figures above continue to point to waning bullish sentiment. The put/call ratio was again above 1.0 yesterday.

I am getting longer in my portfolio, and anticipate at least a short-term rally should develop soon.

long GOOG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home