Friday, August 11, 2006

Nothing To Write Home About

While the action today is not as nasty as we have seen before, it is still somewhat disheartening (unless you're short). There just isn't a lot that is working right now.

A lot of people are talking about the consumer staple stocks (PEP, K, GIS, etc.), and while those are holding up much better, it's still a case of relative outperformance. But I don't think that you are going to make big money overweighting your entire portfolio into those names.

I own some staples, and they have been steady. But I also think there are a lot of undervalued growth stocks out there. The key is to be patient and weather the current bout of pessimism. As such, I am holding higher cash balances than normal.

But I am not predicting the type of downside that many are. I think we are more in a trading range for the time being, and may be revisiting the lower end of the range in the near future. But I also expect another strong 4Q rally this year.

TGIF

long PEP

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home