Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Stronger GDP Supports Soft Landing Thesis

The market is getting a big boost in early trading from the upwardly revised GDP report. Q3 GDP was revised to +2.2%, from previous estimates of +1.6%. Additionally, the inflation component of the report was steady at +1.8%.

This provided a big boost to stocks, and also caused bond yields to fall again, due to the benign inflation data. The yield on the 10-year dipped to 4.48%. I still believe the inflation hawks are fighting yesterday's battle.

After yesterday's up day in the market, the bears have to be wondering, "Is that all there is?". It would be fitting for this market to only offer a one-day, sharp correction, and then resume its steady uptrend. I am not saying that is how it will surely play out, but it wouldn't surprise me.

In other news and notes:
  • CHS does not offer guidance, but stock goes up
  • San Diego votes to ban Wal-Mart supercenters
  • Asian stocks climb to 6-month highs
  • Bear raises tgt on AAPL to $100
  • 2 firms bullish on NTRI after analyst day
  • Ford says 38k have opted for buyouts
  • COMS buys out JV partner in China

long AAPL, CHS

2 Comments:

At 7:42 AM, Blogger jason12 said...

hey how are u? man u are my guru.
u are good. please help i lost 2500 yeasterday on evcc i bought it for 1.74 right now it's 1.45 what u think should i hold it or sell it i borrowed 15000 from my mom bro sis. i told them i will return thier money in january 15 with 5 percent return. now i am stuck need real help. every stock u picked with green symbol went up. i want to be like u one day what major u did in school. i am taking finance. please help my email is nasubway1@Yahoo.com

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger J. Kahn said...

Jason,
I can't comment on that stock specifically. I don't even know it.

But I generally do not buy stocks trading below $10. They are too speculative. I would focus on larger stocks where you have more info. available to you to do your research.

As for my major, I doubled in Econ. and Finance. But I then went on to get a Masters in Derivatives and Trading and also my CFA designation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home