Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Happy Birthday, Taylor

4 years ago today, I brought a little munchkin named Taylor Reese Kahn home from the hospital. I was nervous about being a dad, and scared about handling this fraile little being in my arms. The first night did not get off to a great start--

Taylor was crying a lot. First, we ran through the normal checklist of possibilities: diaper change, botttle, burp her, etc. None of them really worked. It was very hot in LA that evening, so I figured she might be hot. With nothing but her diaper on, I laid her on my chest and tried to sooth her. Small comfort. She kept crying, and suffice it to say, it was a long night.

The next morning, the baby nurse showed up. Hooray!! The first thing she did was wrap Taylor up in a head-to-toe onesy, put her little hat on her, and fully swaddle her in a blanket. She immediatly became comfortable. The answer was that she was cold, not hot! How could I have been so stupid?!? And was this just a foreshadowing of my parenting skills?

But things have steadily improved since then, such that Taylor's is a true daddy's girl. Her favorite part of the day is when I get home in the evening, and I have to admit, it's mine also. I keep saying that I can't wait until she gets a little older and more self-sufficient. But friends with older kids tell me to enjoy this age, and soak it up while it last. I'll try...I'll try.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home