Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Stocks Beginning To Bounce From Oversold Levels

The markets are higher this morning, after falling for the last 3 days. Energy and materials stocks are the strongest so far, while defensive utilities and consumer staples are lagging.

The dollar is up modestly, but that isn't hurting commodities yet. Oil has risen back above the $100 level, and gold prices are higher near $1526. Silver prices are also moving up.

In economic news, durable goods orders fell more than expected in April, declining 3.6%. Though some of this decline is simply due to the robust 4.4% increase in the previous month.

In corporate news, Ralph Lauren (RL) is down -8% after missing earnings estimates. The retail sector is also lower on the day so far.

Asian markets were mostly lower overnight, and I continue to read troubling reports about China.

The 10-year yield is flat at 3.12%; and the VIX is down another 3% to 17.25.

Trading comment: I want to express my condolences to the family and colleagues of Mark Haines. Although I never met Mark Haines, CNBC has been on in the background of my office for the last 15 years. So I listened to Mark reporting on the markets every morning, and I can't count the number of interviews I've watched him give. He had a strong presence, was always no-nonsense and straight-forward, and wasn't afraid to challenge his guests. I have seen a lot of CNBC personalities come and go over the years, but he will be missed more than most.

1 Comments:

At 6:10 AM, Blogger Chip said...

Haynes will be sorely missed. Hope you update more but. Love your stuff.

I have been following the guy from http://forecastfortomorrow.com/Trading-Club
he has been spot on gives live video updates and his seasonality stuff is killer. Well worth a look.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home