Mutual Fund Monthly
Last month, growth outperformed value again. According to Morningstart, the large growth category gained +4.24% while large value declined -2.53%. Quite a big disparity. The growth outperformance theme was prevalent most of last year, but took a breather in Q1 of this year. It appears to be back on track.
We monitor a large group of mutual funds for use in our client accounts and 401k's we advise on. Here are some of the leaders and laggards so far this year:
- +10.7%: CGM Focus (CGMFX)
- +9.5%: Stratton Small-cap (STSCX)
- +8.7%: Ivy Natural Resources (IGNAX)
- +8.2%: Rydex Mgd. Futures (RYMFX)
- +5.8%: Quaker Strategic Growth (QUAGX)
- -17.0%: Winslow Green Growth (WGGFX)
- -12.6%: Legg Mason Opportunity (LMOPX)
- -7.1%: Marsico 21st Century (MXXIX)
- -6.9%: Driehaus Emerg. Mkts (DREGX)
- -6.3%: Spectra Fund (SPEC)
What most of the leading funds have in common is an outsized weighting or exposure to the energy/ag/materials sectors. Sectorwise, energy and materials are up the most so far this year, while the financials and healthcare are the two biggest laggards.